Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from large apartment complexes to single and multi-family homes. Over 240 Local Housing Authorities are responsible for the management and operation of public housing assistance programs throughout the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.


State-aided public housing includes low-income family, elderly, and handicapped housing in buildings owned by Local Housing Authorities (LHAs) throughout 240 cities and towns in Massachusetts. Note that the term “state-aided public housing” does not include state or federal rental payment vouchers or federal public housing programs.

  • Low-income households are typically eligible for the state-aided public housing if they earn no more than 80 percent of the area median income.  Income Limits for State-Aided Public Housing (effective April 1, 2021)
  • If you or a family member are 60 years of age or over or, you are a non-elderly/handicapped you may qualify for the elderly/handicapped housing program.

For complete details on eligibility please contact a Local Housing Authority.


To apply for state-aided public housing, you must use the Common Housing Application for Massachusetts Public Housing (CHAMP). You can apply using CHAMP either online at our CHAMP website, or in person by completing a printed paper application. Both the online and paper applications are available in English, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Khmer, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese.

If you have a disability, you have a right to request reasonable accommodation during the application process. To do so, please review the notice below and contact a Local Housing Authority.

Notice to All Applicants – Reasonable Accommodations

Apply Online

  • If you think you have applied on paper for state-aided public housing before, you may search for your application on the CHAMP website using a smartphone (ie iPhone or android), tablet or computer.
  • If you have not applied for state-aided public housing before, you may create a new account online. Using an online account will allow you to make changes to your application in real time and allow for a Local Housing Authority to contact you directly if they need to request additional information.
  • When applying online please pay close attention to the asterisked (*) sections. If these questions are left blank, your application will be incomplete and it will not be fully processed.

Apply on Paper

  • To download a paper CHAMP Application, please follow the link below.
  • In order for your application to be complete, you must provide all of the required (*) information and sign the Applicant’s Certification AND the Fair Information Practices Act -Statement of Rights.
  • At the end of the CHAMP application you will need to select housing programs at each Local Housing Authority where you would like to apply. It is important to only apply for housing programs at Local Housing Authorities where you want to live.
  • When you have completed the entire paper application, mail or hand deliver it to a Local Housing Authority. You will only need to send your application to one LHA even if you have applied for housing programs at another.
  • Once your completed paper CHAMP application has been received by a Local Housing Authority, they will enter your information into the CHAMP database and you will be able to access it online using your Application ID Number.
  • Note: Any information provided in your application will need to be verified by a Local Housing Authority before any offer for housing is made.

Paper applications